SGA strives to create community, promises bigger, better event

The Big Event committee is preparing project sites and hopes to have nearly 300 participants.

The 10th anniversary of St. Edward’s University’s annual Big Event service project is quickly approaching on April 12. Sponsored by the Student Government Association, Head Director Victoria Ochoa said this year students can expect the event to be larger than ever before.

“The whole focus and goal this year is to make it bigger and better,” Ochoa said. “The Big Event represents tradition and everyone who has participated in the past lights up when they hear about it.”

This year a few new activities will be incorporated into the Big Event, including a kick off ceremony and pep rally to develop a sense of community.

“At the pep rally we’re hoping for student athletes to do a rap or song duet with a faculty member,” Ochoa said. “We’ve targeted student athletes as they are student leaders and the St. Edward’s community are familiar with who they are.”

The committee also hopes to involve alumni and future Hilltoppers in the event. The admissions department at St. Edward’s is helping increase involvement by holding a ‘picture yourself event’ to allow students visiting St. Edward’s the opportunity to participate. 

“We want to make this year as inclusive to the St. Edward’s community as we can,” Ochoa said.

While participants will be serving local families during the Big Event, students are involved in something much larger than St. Edward’s. The Big Event is not just something that St. Edward’s students are involved in, but it is a national event that was started at Texas A&M and is now a tradition at many universities.

Colin Stonecipher, last year’s assistant director, said the most important part of the event is giving back to the community. From his perspective, impacting the organization and bringing together so many students was personally rewarding.

“Participating in service is an integral part of the St. Edward’s experience and The Big Event is one of the best chances to get involved,” Stonecipher said.

Ochoa, along with the entire Big Event committee, have been planning the event since October 2013.

Leaders and committee members have been recruiting site leaders, preparing the sites and completing background checks, contacting student organizations, planning transportation, communicating with local families about their needs and publicizing the event.

“Though there’s so much to plan, last year the biggest problem we faced was the check-in process. I hope people aren’t put off by that because we are really trying to ease that process this year,” Ochoa said.

Starting on April 1, SGA began their promotional event, Big Event Little Tent, on Ragsdale Lawn and students could begin signing up through collegiate link.

“Big Event Little Tent helps people get energized for The Big Event. Computers will be available there for people to sign up,” Ochoa said.

Last year 250 students participated in the Big Event, and this year SGA hopes to have at least 300 people participate. According to Ochoa, this typically means that 350-375 students need to sign up.

This year’s event marketing director Louie Morsy said his goal is to keep the tradition of The Big Event strong in its 10th year.

“It’s a great experience to share with friends and show our appreciation and thanks to the community through volunteer service,” Morsy said.

Follow Riana on Twitter @rianas92