Fall weather creates the need for pumpkin-flavored delicacies

For another pumpkin treat, visit Hey Cupcake on Congress.

As winter approaches, pumpkins start cropping up everywhere: front porches, store displays, and most importantly in food and drinks around Austin. The city’s eclectic collection of breweries, ice cream shops and other dining options puts out a wealth of pumpkin related specials. It was hard sorting out the best of the best, but you certainly can not go wrong with my top five picks, in no particular order, of pumpkin greatness. 

1. Pumpkin Seed Pesto Marinated Chicken Breast – Jack Allen’s Kitchen

Known for its locally-sourced food, Jack Allen’s may be a more pricey option for college students, but the food is always great to share and this seasonal addition is just as filling. The dish is served with portobello mushrooms stuffed with artichoke gratin and goat cheese drizzle. Jack Allen’s nearest location only takes about 15 minutes to get to from campus and can be found in Oak Hill just off of Highway 71 West.

2. Pumpkin Cheescake – Walton’s Fancy and Staple

Walton’s is the perfect place to stop by in downtown Austin. Located on West 6th street in a charming building it is only about 10 minutes away from campus and would be a perfect place to study during the week. They serve enough to fulfill all of your savory and sweet hunger needs and floral arrangements are even available for purchase

3. Pumpkin Pancakes – Kerbey Lane

Always a student favorite, Kerbey Lane offers plenty of seasonal options including their delicious pumpkin pancakes. Students will not have to drive far since the nearest location is just on South Lamar. A bonus: if the pancakes leave you wanting for a little more pumpkin, Kerbey Lane also serves pumpkin bread.

4. Pumpkin Ice Cream – Amy’s Ice Cream 

Amy’s offers plenty of options for pumpkin lovers not too afraid to eat ice cream in the cold. Flavors include pumpkin, pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin custard, pumpkin pie, and pumpkin praline swirl. With the nearest location just across the street from campus, there is no reason not to stop by and get some pumpkin ice cream.

5. Pumpkin Coffee – Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf

For anyone looking to break the Starbucks mold, Coffee Bean offers pumpkin coffee and pumpkin lattes hot or over ice. Coffee Bean’s spice bar, where you can customize a little extra spice for your drinks, makes this a great place to get a pumpkin drink. It is also another great place to do homework or just hang out.