Creative writing students honored for their works

Two St. Edward’s University student writers were recognized on the state level for their work in creative non-fiction.

Sherrie Tatum, a participant of the Masters of Liberal Arts program and John Parks, a 2010 New College graduate, both placed in this year’s Texas Association of Creative Writing Teachers awards. The awards recognize exemplary works of student fiction, poetry and creative non-fiction.

TACWT has been bringing together teachers of creative writing in Texas since the mid-1970s.

This year’s TACWT conference took place on Sept. 23-25 in Fort Worth.

Tatum’s work, a selection from her in-progress book, was nominated and submitted to TACWT by St. Edward’s professor Gail Folkins. Tatum was thrilled when she discovered she placed third in the category of Graduate Creative Non-fiction.

“It just felt wonderful, first that [Folkins] even submitted my first chapter…that in itself was gratifying,” Tatum said.

Tatum considers her piece to be literary journalism, a genre, which describes real events in a narrative style. Her book follows her perception of high school friend Larry Schacht, the doctor who created the poison that was responsible for over 900 deaths in the Jonestown Massacre, 30 years after the event. She said she is fascinated with how a close friend of hers could do something so seemingly uncharacteristic of the person she thought he was.

Tatum had a recommendation for up-and-coming writers.

“Pursue the part of [writing] you want to do consistently and word will get out,” Tatum said.

Folkins also nominated the work of John Parks. Parks’ piece, which describes the loss of his shoes on a night train in Munich while he was studying abroad in Rome, placed third in the TACWT category of Undergraduate Creative Non-fiction.

“The recognition from the Association helped my confidence as a writer,” Parks said. “It also helped me to know more about submitting work in general.”

Parks believes all students who are interested in writing should submit articles to as many venues as possible.

“I never thought of submitting one of my pieces but, luckily, I had a supportive professor who got me started and helped open my mind to a world of writing that exists outside the university,” Parks said.

Both writers had something to say regarding the importance of writing. Parks believes good literature can reveal new perspectives on humanity and life in general.

“Life itself is a narrative, and when put to ink and paper, it can become a powerful and effective medium to growth, understanding, appreciation, joy or pain,” Parks said.

Tatum had something simpler to add.

“[Writing] brings order to chaos,” Tatum said.