Health care gets examined

Health care is about to get the Kozmetsky Center treatment.

The Kozmetsky Center  will be continuing the theme of social equality in a globalized world in October by making the St. Edward’s University community more aware of health and health care reform.

“Here at St. Edward’s, we want to be global citizens, and the Kozmetsky Center is providing the community with opportunities to be exposed to that,” Elisa Diaz-Martinez, director of the Kozmetsky Center, said. “In order for our students to understand what is going on in the world, we need to interact, share our research and discuss what is going on from a global perspective.”

The center launched the month with a health fair, which collaborated with the university police department, Campus Recreation, Campus Ministry and the Health and Counseling Center.

Following that event on Wednesday, the Kozmetsky Center will be showcasing the documentary, “Unnatural Causes: Is Inequality Making Us Sick?” The documentary showcases the social determinants of health that are impacting American citizens, as opposed to the original criteria of an individual’s behavior or genetic disposition. The documentary will follow with a discussion lead by Martinez and Dr. Val Episcopo.

On Oct. 19, the center will be hosting a panel for “The Health Care Reform: What the Future Holds.” The panel will include the president of the American Medical Association, Dr. James Rohack; the senior vice president at St. David’s Healthcare, Mark Clayton, and two other guest speakers.

“I think that will give us a lot more knowledge in what is going on in this country and make us more aware and involved. There are a lot of people that are not involved in these issues who are not fully aware what is going in the health care world,” junior Chandni Naik said. “This is providing the chance for students to be exposed to this using interesting ways to attract people.”

The Kozmetsky Center will be wrapping up health care with a discussion with Dr. Denny Vagero, a professor of Medical Sociology and former director of the Centre for Health Equity Studies at Stockholm University. On Oct. 27, Vagero will be discussing the topic of social determinants of health.

“In regards to health, I think that is important for students to have an outlet of information that they can obtain, especially in a global perspective,” said senior Jarymar Arana.

In November, the Kozmetsky Center will shift from talking about health and health care reform to presenting and hosting events discussing human trafficking.

The Kozmetsky Center has hosted various topical events on campus since it was established in 2005.

An RSVP will be required for the documentary  due to limited space. Interested members of the community can do so by contacting Meredith Schmittou or registering online.