Honors Night recognizes outstanding graduates

Students, faculty and members of the St. Edward’s community gathered Monday to recognize award-winning students and outstanding faculty at Undergraduate Honors Night.

Awards were presented to undergraduate students, newly inducted honors students were acknowledged and Teaching Excellence Awards recipients were recognized.

Sr. Donna Jurick, executive vice president and provost, said the university recognized students who have demonstrated exceptional achievement during their time at St. Edward’s both in their academic programs and in broader service to the community. Awards were given to a number of students in honors programs and honor societies, demonstrating excellence within fellowships, classes or majors, and partaking in co-curricular conferences and activities.

Senior Mary Hennessy, copy editor at Hilltop Views, was one of the three St. Edward’s students awarded a Fulbright  English Teaching Assistantship. With this assistantship, Hennessy will teach English part time in a German high school.

“I chose Germany because of the interest I’ve developed in German language, history, and politics during my time at St. Edward’s,” Hennessy, a political science student, said. “I’m excited about the possibility of traveling in Germany and in Europe, about exploring teaching as a career, and about taking a year off school.”

Senior Claire Cella, also honored at the ceremony and co-editor-in-chief of Hilltop Views, will be  headed to Thailand as a Fulbright Teaching Assistant for 12 months to teach English to either middle school or high school students with her assistantship.

“I absolutely fell in love with [Thai] culture and how friendly the people were,” Cella said.Senior Sarah Broll, the third St. Edward’s recipient of a Fulbright English Teaching Assistantship, will be going to Austria. Broll previously studied abroad in Germany and developed a familiarity with German.

Senior Sandy Caron was awarded the School of Education’s Elementary Student Teacher of the Year.

“I feel honored receiving this award, and I am proud of my work over the past year,” said Caron. “I had wonderful professors, internship supervisors and peers who supported me along the way.”

Senior Carol Filip was recognized for her participation in the McNair Scholars program. She received the Lux et Sapientia Award and a Presidential Award.

“Looking back after four years at St. Edward’s, I cannot believe all of the amazing opportunities that I have been presented while studying here,” Filip said. “I will always cherish my Holy Cross education and the things that have made the view from the Hilltop so sweet.”

Filip was one of eight students who were honored with a Presidential Award during the ceremony. The other recipients were Jorge Almeida, Genevieve Cato, Cheri Chase, Adam DeVos, Richard Grantier, Kadie Rackley and Emma Tardif.

Recipients of the Presidential Award are considered outstanding seniors and graduate students who embody the principles of the Holy Cross tradition and the mission of the university and demonstrate excellence in leadership, academic performance and service to the university and other communities.

Recipients must have earned at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA, completed a minimum of four semesters at St. Edward’s while pursuing their most recent degree, be a graduating senior and demonstrate participation in the life of the university.

Jurick also announced the 2010 Teaching Excellence Awards recipients.

The Hudspeth Award for Innovative Instruction was awarded to Jennifer K. Greene, professor of the New College program. The Outstanding Adjunct Faculty Award was given to fellow New College Professor Jeffrey L. Olbrich. The Distinguished Teaching Awards were given to Marcia Kinsey, associate professor of English Writing and Rhetoric, and Peter Wake, assistant professor of Philosophy. In addition, the Distinguished Teaching Career Award was given to Anna Skinner, professor of English Writing and Rhetoric.

Honors Night Program

Additional reporting by Haleigh [email protected]