St. Edward’s University police officer charged after arrest for improper photography

Authorities have charged a St. Edward’s University police officer with improper photography after they said he was taking pictures of women with his cell phone under stalls at an Austin department store.

Brandon Jason Gilroy, 23, was arrested Feb. 9 after a Macy’s loss prevention manager at Barton Creek Square said that he witnessed Gilroy entering the women’s junior fitting room. The manager said that Gilroy was taking pictures of women with his cell phone, which Gilroy affixed to his shoe and slid under the stalls, without their consent, according to an Austin Police Department report.

On Feb. 11, Gilroy was charged by the Travis County District Attorney with a state jail felony. If Gilroy is found guilty, he will serve 180 days to two years in a state jail facility and will pay a fine of no more than $10,000.

The Austin Police Department is asking anyone for information about other incidents involving Gilroy to come forward.

Gilroy has resigned from his position as an officer after seven months of employment. He is currently free after posting $50,000 bail.

According to the arrest affidavit, Gilroy said “that he did this to satisfy his curiosity about how to accomplish recording a female in a state of undress.”

“The news of Officer Gilroy’s arrest is clearly very disturbing for St. Edward’s University,” said University Communications Director Mischelle Diaz. “The safety and security of our campus community is paramount, and our officers play an important role in ensuring that security.”

Gilroy is the son of two other St. Edward’s University police officers. Diaz said Gilroy regularly worked the overnight shift and was hired after passing criminal, psychological and credit background checks. She said the psychological test is standard in the law enforcement hiring process.

“We do have confidence in our hiring procedures,” Diaz said. “The university believes all precautions were taken.”

Diaz said that there have been no complaints about Gilroy’s conduct on campus and that she believes the incident off campus was isolated.

University Police Chief Rudolph Rendon could not be reached for comment, and UPD and Human Resources have referred all questions regarding the matter to Diaz.

Local media outlets arrived on campus this afternoon, but Diaz asked them to leave.

Gilroy’s resignation leaves UPD with one fewer officer during a time when break-ins have become a concern on campus. There are now 14 officers, including the police chief, employed by the university. During the overnight shift Thursday, a burglar broke into an on-campus apartment. The burglary follows a car theft and two car break-ins in the on-campus parking garage.