Goat to be unveiled

Pax, Lt. Dan Becks goat.

Pax, Lt. Dan Beck’s goat.

A new member of the St. Edward’s University community will be making his debut at the Homecoming tailgate party Feb. 20.

Pax, a two-year-old domestic Angora goat will be taking on the role of Topper.

Pax belongs to University Police Department Lt. Dan Beck, who purchased the goat with the hopes of encouraging school spirit.

Beck and his wife are St. Edward’s alumni, and they said the goat is an alumni gift to the student body.

But while Pax will be assuming the role of Topper at campus events, Beck is quick to point out that he is not an official university mascot.

“I’m not expecting anything from the university, ” he said. “I own him, I feed him, and I’m responsible for him. He’s not going to be living on campus, and there’s not going to be goat poop everywhere.”

Beck wants to make Topper available to student organizations and their events, as well as for many other roles.

“It’s just student-oriented, student-driven,” Beck said. “It’ll depend on what the students want and what the administration wants.”

Beck said UPD also plans on using Topper as a crime-prevention animal a la “McGruff the Crime Dog.”

“People might not want to come over and talk about how to keep their bicycles from being stolen,” he said. “But, they’ll come over and listen to us talk while they’re playing with Topper.”

Beck hopes that his goat will be an asset for the St. Edward’s community, and many students are looking forward to his presence.

“I am so excited,” Freshman Kyle Nigro said. “This is exactly what the school needs to bring athletics to a new level and raise spirit on campus.”

Sophomore Kadence Hampton agrees that having a Topper is a good idea.

“I just want to meet him,” she said. “I’m really excited for a living, breathing Topper. I think it will increase school spirit among the student body.”

Beck is hopeful that the domestic goat will adapt well to crowds and be comfortable visiting campus.

And while Beck’s primary reason for bringing Topper to campus is to make college life more fun for the students at St. Edward’s, competition may play a slight role.

“Those people on the other side of the river, they’ve got their longhorn,” he said. “Well by golly, we’ve got us a Topper if we want to have him.”

[email protected]