Committee to review SGA resolutions

Various bills proposed by the Student Government Association over the past few weeks now await further review by the legislative committee.

The legislation includes a bill supporting Greek life on campus, the establishment of clocks in every classroom, mandated freshmen attendance at money management and saving seminars and a recycling system for Bon Appétit to-go boxes. Some of the bills encountered lengthy debate at SGA’s weekly meetings, while others heard none at all.

If the bills are passed, they will be proposed to the university’s administration.

The most contentious debate surrounded S.R. 112: Greek Life on Campus, which, according to the bill’s sponsor, sophomore senator Andy Ryan, would “support interest in, implementation of, and organization of Greek Life on campus.”

Colleen White, a former member of SGA and the current Resident Hall Association president, is the driving force behind S.R. 112. White attended the last two SGA meetings on Oct. 22 and Oct. 29 to advocate the initial implementation of two fraternities and two sororities. The goal of introducing Greek life to the St. Edward’s University campus would be to provide better social access points for students.

The proposal to create a “Greek Life” initiative was approved last week without objection and was sent to a legislative committee for further review. It remains unclear whether SGA will take on the role of actively supporting and organizing “Greek Life” on campus, or whether the bill will be used only to gather information regarding the public desire for such an initiative.

Senior senator Chris Gabel questioned whether Ryan and White could demonstrate a direct causal relationship between the implementation of “Greek Life” on college campuses and increased scholastic experience. Ryan and White pointed to an unspecified U.S. News and World Report document correlating the subjects. Ryan said although the bill has received support, it is also experiencing a great deal of opposition.

Chief of Staff Nicholette Maiers said she was concerned about excluding, rather than including, prospective students by advertising “Greek Life” as a selling point on the St. Edward’s campus.

SGA also approved an overhaul of its constitution and bylaws after a lengthy argument regarding the proposed changes. The details of the changes, which include the implementation of an internal performance review, a recall mechanism, and eliminating New College and Graduate school senators, were detailed in the Sept. 30 edition of Hilltop Views.

Another bill which has received much questioning was been S.R. 101: Truth in Grading, which seeks to support the incorporation of a plus/minus grading system into courses at the university. SGA is currently still gathering information regarding the findings of a recent Faculty Senate report concerning the proposed inception.

Other pieces of legislation proposed in recent weeks, however, were pushed through to committee without substantial questioning:

•S.R. 103: Making Good Time, proposed by Alex Simons, sophomore executive senator, seeks to make sure clocks are placed in all classrooms and are adequately synchronized.

•S.R. 110: “Ballin’ on a Budget,” proposed by Gabel, would enforce mandatory freshmen attendance at money management and savings seminars, in order to provide them with the knowledge and skills they need to avoid the financial difficulties common among college students

•S.R. 111: “Putting a Lid on It,” proposed by Sophomore Sen. Noah Corn, seeks to create a recycling system of to-go boxes for the St. Edward’s cafeterias and food shops operated by Bon Appétit.

In addition, many students have been approved to fill previous vacancies in SGA positions. Celso Baez, a freshman senator from 2007-2008, was approved to fill a vacancy on the junior senator bench.

The senate also approved Brandon Balque as a School of Behavioral and Social Sciences senator, Robert Price as the School of Business and Management’s senator, Daniel Lopez as a School of Humanities senator and Karissa Eudy as a School of Education senator.

On Nov. 18 in Hunt Hall from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., SGA will be hosting a town hall meeting, open to the public, to provide further opportunity for constituents to talk to their representatives about any already existing legislation, legislation in committee or any legislation currently being proposed. A focus point will be the proposed plus/minus grading system of S.R. 101.

Student Government meetings are held on Thursdays at 7 p.m., usually in one of the Mabee Ballrooms. Information regarding events, committee minutes, in-house documents and other concerns can be found at http://stedwards.collegiatelink.net.