Student Government Association finalizes dress code, remaining bylaws

Christine Sanchez

Student Government Association senators changed the phrasing and content of some bylaws in their last formal meeting of the semester

Student Government Association members discussed funding requests, dress code policies for SGA members during meetings and the four remaining SGA bylaws at their formal senate meeting on Mar. 6.

The senate finalized the following four articles in their bylaws:

• Article IV: Officers
  • Article VIII: Intergovernmental Procedure
  • Elections code
  • Code of ethics

Senators also included changes in the phrasing of bylaws, as well as changes in their contents.

Some proposed changes were that the Vice President is responsible for setting informal meetings, instead of just formal meetings. Another was that senators would be required to serve five office hours per week rather than four. A change in the Chief Court Justice role was also included, which would extend their office hours from five to eight, and make them responsible for attending all court hearings instead of the supermajority of meetings.

A major topic debated at the meeting was the dress code policy for Senate meetings.

Senator Cristobal Garcia-Quiroz proposed requiring SGA members to dress business casual at meetings. In his proposal, jeans and other casualwear would not be allowed.

This was followed by debate from Senators Jacob Zertuche and Jessica Riley, who thought the change would be difficult to uphold, with the senators being busy college students.

“We’re students, a lot of us come from class. I think having a dress code causes issues,” Riley said.

Riley added that being at the meetings and making decisions is more important than dressing a certain way.

Senator Athina Castanon said SGA members should be mindful that they are representing St. Edward’s University, and it’s important that they dress professionally.

Senator Taylor Huey said that discrimination and societal issues come into play in regards to the dress code. She said that while some students could be punished for dressing down, others would be able to dress as they liked. Huey proposed that the senate delete the dress code section entirely.

“I want all or nothing. I want it to be fair and clear. Why would we do something halfway? I think we’re all adults and we can dress appropriately according to our own standards,” Huey said.

Members then voted to strike out the dress code policy entirely.

Parliamentarian Samrah Khan reminded members that a motion can still be made in the future to bring back policy, and a revision committee can even be created to include advisors in the decision.

President Joanna Ariola says that SGA has seen a variety of different legislations throughout the year, including their biggest one, which was the endowment fund for the Hilltopper emergency aid program.

“It’s been really fun, Leslie and I really care about what the school is doing and making sure that students are helping students,” Ariola said. The team that we have this year is phenomenal, and they’re really here to help make a difference. It’s just been a different attitude that it has been in the past years. I think this is a new breath of air for everybody.”

SGA applications opened on Monday, March 4 and close Friday, March 15. Those interested can contact Lacey Nugent for more information.

Correction: An earlier version of this article misstated that the March 6 meeting was the final one of the semester.