Proposed SGA legislation tackles dispensers, farmers market

Produce and periods were at the forefront of the Student Government Association’s last formal senate meeting.

Senators voted two resolutions through first passage at the Nov. 10 meeting. S.R. 3 deals with campus accessibility to feminine products and S.R. 7 aims to bring a farmers market to the university.

Sen. Carla Colacion proposed S.R. 3 and plans to discuss expanding the Health and Counseling Center’s distribution of feminine hygiene products. Currently, pads and tampons are available upon request from the HCC.

The resolution would bring at least one dispenser to a restroom on campus. Colacion listed the women’s restroom in Ragsdale Center as her top choice since it is the “most populated area,” said Colacion.

Colacion and her sponsor, Sen. Hailey Williams, are pushing for the dispenser to offer feminine hygiene products for free but will also compromise for dispensers that charge.

Colacion could not comment on the cost of installing the dispensers, as the resolution is still in its research phase.

Senators voted in favor of the resolution.

The meeting then moved to discuss S.R. 7. Williams said her legislation addresses students’ difficulty with leaving campus to obtain fresh produce.

A program known as Farm to Work, launched in February, allows students to have fresh fruits and vegetables from Tecolote Farms in Manor, Texas, delivered to them on a weekly basis.

The farmers market proposed would be another outlet through which students could purchase organic, non- GMO fruits and vegetables with topper tender or traditional payment options. If the resolution moves through final passage, Williams plans to reach out to various vendors, including those that supply Farm to Work, to provide produce. Other possible items could include baked goods from on campus clubs and organizations as well as local art.

“There are many students on campus who feel that there is both a need and want for a farmers market to be implemented on campus,” Williams said. “This would only benefit the students who prefer to have produce and healthier eating options and also provide SGA and St. Edward’s with an opportunity to make revenue, since the vendors of the farmers’ market will have to pay a fee of $10.”

A survey will be made available to the St. Edward’s community to gauge whether or not they would attend a farmers’ market on campus and, if so, how frequently they would like it to occur.

Possible locations for the farmers market include Fondren Lawn and near the Hunt Hall Cafeteria area of campus.

Though the legislation still has to move through final passage, Williams said she would like to see it implemented by next semester.

Sen. Oliver Guerra says he abstained from both pieces of legislation because there wasn’t enough evidence that the details have been worked out out.

“For me to vote yes on a bill, I need to make sure all the bases are covered so we, as an association, are sure to be able to make evident change,” Guerra said. “If not all the details are mapped out, we have a larger chance of not following through with it.”