Lockdown over after armed intruder on St. Edward’s campus

Editor’s Note: This story has been updated throughout. 

St. Edward’s University went into a lockdown Tuesday night after an armed intruder charged onto the campus following an off-campus armed robbery, according to the Office of Campus Safety. The lockdown has since been lifted.

Austin Police has not yet detained the suspect, but have searched the campus. The suspect is described as a white male wearing a red bandana.

“Austin police and University police felt confident that it was safe to release the shelter in place,” said Director of Communications Mischelle Diaz.

The Office of Campus Safety warned students and faculty through email, text and social media to stay indoors or off campus. There were no shots fired at John Brooks Williams Natural Science Center – South, Diaz said, putting down rumors circulating campus. 

The Austin Police Department received a call at 8:14 p.m. from an individual reporting that someone had pulled a gun on them in the 2700 block of South Congress Avenue. 

Three buildings were searched by police: Fine Arts, Premont and Doyle Halls. The buildings are located on the side of campus closest to where the incident happened, Diaz said. It’s unclear if the suspect was seen on campus. Diaz also said several witnesses saw the suspect around the St. Edward’s Drive area.

Students in night classes and other late night activities on campus were locked in their classrooms. Some students reported seeing armed police officers and helicopters around the campus. Students said they they barricaded doors of their classrooms.

Hilltop Views’ print editor-in-chief, Jacob Rogers, was in a class in Trustee Hall during the lockdown. He describes the incident as “frightening.”

The professor turned off the lights in the classroom, barricaded the door with tables and told everyone to keep quiet, Rogers said. While they sat against the wall in their dark classroom, waiting for information, they could see police officers through the windows walking around.

Hilltop Views will update as information comes in.