Intramural sports teams offer soical outlet, competitive edge

A new year of intramural sports is in full swing, kicking off with basketball and indoor soccer.

Campus Recreation runs several different intramural sport leagues every year, including dodgeball and volleyball. They are currently in their winter season, in which basketball and indoor soccer are played.

The cost is $75 per team for each sport, which includes a men’s and co-recreational league, according to the St. Edward’s University intramural league’s website.

Assistant Director of Campus Recreation Clint Jones has been busy preparing for the new season including finding and training students who wish to referee games.

“I’m excited to see the officials develop into better officials who learn to manage games and officiate at the same level, or even better, as some of our peer institutions,” Jones said.

Junior David Isaac is a big fan of intramurals because he enjoys playing with his friends.

“I love it because it’s not only a time to be social, but it also is challenging and I love the competitiveness of the game,” Isaac said. “The social interaction plays a big factor in allowing me to meet new people at our school.”

Senior McKenna Dunn also agrees it’s a fun way to socialize and exercise at the same time.

“It gets my competitiveness out and winning is always fun,” she said.

Sophomore Matt Dechant who was involved in multiple leagues his freshmen year continues to participate. Now in his second year, he loves to play basketball.

“I love that St. Edwards has intramural basketball because that’s my favorite sport. Being able to get together with my friends and just playing competitively is fun,” Dechant said.

The intramural basketball season will wrap up at the end of February and the spring sports will kick off, which include soccer and volleyball.