GAME DAY: Men’s club soccer loses their season opener 6-0

Tate Burchfield
A member of the St. Edward’s men’s club team faces off against several members of the TCU team while trying to possess the ball.

The St. Edward’s men’s club soccer team participated in their season opener against Texas Christian University’s club team on Sept. 16, which resulted in a losing score of 6-0 for the Hilltoppers.

The team hosted their first game of the season at the lower fields but was met with subsequent rain delays. Fans from both schools initially lined up along the field’s sideline in anticipation for the game. To the dismay of Horned Frogs and Hilltoppers alike, the match received a rain delay around 12:10 p.m.  

The appearance of lightning halted the game’s progress. Fans were shocked to see the team retreat from the field, which was then followed by an announcement from the social media manager Angie Navarez that the game would be postponed until “1:10 p.m…if the weather calm[ed] down.”

When the weather eventually did calm down, both teams returned. The rain did not hinder the dynamism of the teams, as there was constant action until the brief break of halftime. With the game’s resumption, a new crop of viewers lined up by the lower field’s fence. 

By halftime, TCU managed to score two goals out of their attempted around 10 shots. SEU goalkeeper Peter Edehegon is largely to thank for the defense against the Horned Frogs’ advances. Comparatively, the Hilltoppers only attempted about four shots in the first half–all of which were blocked. There was also the in-game injury of SEU player Max Vallodid, which resulted in him being withdrawn from play.

The second half of the game commenced with TCU’s team playing aggressively. Within the first 30 minutes of resumed play, they obtained two goals. For most of the half, the balls seemed to be possessed primarily by the Horned Frogs. Still, SEU managed to get close to their goal several times during the half. But despite attempts, the match concluded with a score of 6-0 in TCU’s favor. 

Unlike the NCAA soccer team here at St. Edward’s, the roster of the “team changes each semester,” according to senior captain Mateo Correa. 

“This game is only a building point for the rest of the season,” Correa said. 

The men’s club team will test this optimism at their next game against University of the Incarnate Word on Sept. 23 on the lower fields at 3 p.m. 

View Comments (1)