Nationally-ranked women’s soccer team continues perfect record

St. Edward’s women’s soccer team upheld their winning streak on Tuesday after defeating Texas Woman’s University 3-0. St. Ed’s is now 5-0 on the season and ranked second in the nation in NCAA Division II. It was the third game in five days for the Hilltoppers, but they showed no signs of fatigue despite game time temperature at over 100 degrees.

The Hilltoppers’ offense got off to a slow start, only getting off one shot in the first 25 minutes of action. St.Ed’s first goal came with less than 7 minutes left in the first half. On a free kick from about 30 yards out, Senior Caitlin Reedy lobbed a pass that Freshman Megan Anderson headed into the goal. Anderson and other members of the team’s impressive freshmen class were key factors in this game.

In the second half, Sophomore Forward Rachel Murray did what she has done in every game this season; she scored a goal. Murray’s goal in the 56th minute gave St. Ed’s a 2-0 lead. Murray’s strong play earned her the Heartland Conference Offensive Player of the Week for the week of September 5-11.

“It wouldn’t have been possible without the help of my teammates,” Murray said. She credited today’s goal to a great assist from Freshman Cailyn “Kay-Kay” Trapani. “All I had to do was tap it in,” Murray said.

With two minutes remaining, Freshman Ally Lindquist scored on a header off a corner kick from Senior Bethany Bennett.

St. Edward’s defense stayed strong as they allowed the Pioneers of Texas Women’s University to take only one shot on goal. 

This was standout goal keeper Claire Tilton’s fourth straight shutout. For her efforts, Tilton was named the Heartland Conference Defensive Player of the Week for the second straight week.

Murray and the team are aiming high this year.

“Hopefully, we can win a championship,” Murray said.  

The Hilltoppers will be back in action on Sept. 18 at 10 a.m. when they host Central Oklahoma. The game has been designated as the Hilltoppers’ annual Kim Yeatts Classic.