SGA discusses mission, student issues

The St. Edward’s University Student Government Association met last week to state its mission, swear in senators, discuss new legislation and consider issues from other students.

With President Vianney Becerra away on business, Vice President Ryan Villarreal took charge of the first official meeting of the semester on Sept. 8.  Before initiating business, Villarreal stated his philosophy about the role of student government and its relationship with students.

“The mentality is all of us need to work together as one — not only as a student government, but as a student body — to really make sure our voices are being heard and listened to, and to let the students know that there is a possible fight going on, and it’s a fight that students can win,” Villarreal said. “With the help of the student body, and with [SGA], that’s what we intend on doing this students.”

Chief of Staff Arthur D. Soto-Vasquez also emphasized the importance of understanding SGA’s mission.

“I think we know what we are going to do in SGA. I think we know the procedures,” Soto-Vasquez said. “We know legislation has to be passed, but I think the bigger question is ‘why.’ I think if we can articulate a ‘why’ for ourselves then the ‘what’ will flow naturally.  The legislation, the process, all that will be secondary, but particularly, the ‘why’ is the most important