Sexual Assault Awareness Month offers students new activities

The Clothesline Project is a repeat event for Sexual Assault Awareness Month.

St. Edward’s University is participating in Sexual Assault Awareness Month this April, offering activities meant to inform students about sexual violence.

Even though St. Edward’s does not report a high percentage of sexual assaults on campus, the university believes that promoting awareness of the issue can help prevent students from experiencing an assault and assist those who have survived an assault, according to Pete Erickson, wellness and outreach coordinator for the Health and Counseling Center.

“Even one person having that experience is one too many,” Erickson said.

Erickson said that, this month, the Health and Counseling Center intends to increase awareness, knowledge and skills related to preventing sexual assault and as a result make a difference through the following measures:

• Reducing the risk of sexual assault

• Communicating to survivors of sexual assault that they are not alone and that they are not to blame.

• Increasing the likelihood that a friend can help a friend who has been sexually assaulted.

• Increasing the availability of sexual assault resources

• Increasing survivor willingness to begin the healing process by accessing sexual assault resources.

After every awareness month, the Health and Counseling Center analyzes the activities in order to improve them for next year. The Health and Counseling Center has already expressed a desire to implement Bystander Behavior Training next year.

The Bystander Behavior Training programs will teach potential witnesses safe and positive ways that students can act to prevent or intervene when there is a risk of sexual violence. The skills learned in Bystander Behavior Training also apply to other concerning situations, such as eating disorders, substance abuse and the possibility of suicide, Erickson said.

“We believe that [Bystander Behavior Training] is an extremely important component of decreasing the likelihood of sexual assault,” Erickson said.

The Health and Counseling Center wants to provide students with the best training so they can protect themselves and prevent any situation that could put them in danger. The center is always open for students with further questions and concerns.

“Therapists at the Health and Counseling Center are available to speak confidentially with survivors of sexual assault,” Erickson said.

During the past seven years, the Health and Counseling Center has worked along with the Hilltopper Peer Health Educators, the Kozmetsky Center, the Multicultural Leadership Board and the University Police Department to raise awareness of sexual assault with activities throughout the month of April.

One change from last year’s awareness month is that the Health and Counseling Center added a “Dynamics of Sexual Assault” workshop facilitated by SafePlace. They also partnered with the Kozmetsky Center to add four “Violence Against Women Around the Globe” informational tabletops. In addition, the Multicultural Leadership Board added “Take Back the Night.”

St. Edward’s students are able to participate in events such as the “Speak Up. Speak Out.” poster campaign, which will be held across campus until April 29. Students also participated in the “Clothesline Project” T-shirt events.

A Rape Aggression Defense course will be held April 25, 27, 29 and 30 from 6-9 p.m. This four-session self defense course is designed to empower women to defend themselves if threatened with sexual assault. The classes are open to women over the age of 12 and cost $25 for materials. Those interested should contact Alice Gilroy at 512-448-8444 or [email protected] to sign up.

The Violence Against Women Around the Globe informational tabletops will include a final session on April 27 from 10:45 a.m. until 1 p.m. at Fondren Lawn (in front of the bookstore).

Bystander Behavior Training for student leaders will be held April 27 at 7 p.m. in Fleck Hall 314, and the Clothesline Project art installation across campus will be finished by April 29.