GAME DAY: Men’s Soccer falls short against CSU-Pueblo, third loss in three games

Emilio Casanova / Hilltop Views

On Sept. 9, fans gathered in the shade by the Lewis-Chen Family Field to watch the recently reinstated St. Edward’s men’s soccer team. The Hilltoppers faced the Colorado State University Pueblo Thunderwolves, ranked 12th in the nation, and fell short with a 3-0 final score.

Tension was high from the very first whistle blow. CSU Pueblo started off with intensity, making a successful run to the box in the first five minutes. At four minutes, St. Edward’s received a handball penalty. Fortunately, the shot made by the Thunderwolves met goalkeeper Kellen Gullion’s hands, who tapped it up and allowed the Hilltoppers to regain possession. 

A few minutes later,  another handball was committed by the Hilltoppers, giving CSU Pueblo another penalty kick opportunity. This time, Gullion’s dive was not enough to stop the ball from reaching the net, giving the Thunderwolves a 1-0 lead six minutes in. 

At the 16 minute mark, CSU Pueblo took advantage of their first corner kick in the game to send the ball into the box, meeting the head of one of their players with precision, allowing him to redirect it to the upper corner of the net. With 30 minutes left in the first half, the Thunderwolves were up 2-0. 

Despite both goals, the Hilltoppers kept energy high and possession at 72% in the first half. Five goal attempts were made, with freshman midfielder Matthew Devaney being the only one to shoot on target. Sophomore midfielder Shunji Watanabe showed great discipline and strength, attempting three goals in total. 

“As a team, it wasn’t good enough to reach where we are supposed to be,” Watanabe said. 

The second half was no different. Both the Hilltoppers and the Thunderwolves played with intensity for all 90 minutes, keeping almost even possession of the ball and creating opportunities with precise passes, teamwork and communication.

Less than 10 minutes into the final half, CSU Pueblo intercepted St. Edward’s run up their attacking field, forcing the Hilltoppers to switch to a more defensive strategy. With a quick offense move and an unbalanced field, the Thunderwolves took advantage of their momentum and scored their 3rd and final goal. 

Towards the end of game, the crowd rose to their feet as freshman Jethro Vourjolo ran up the field by himself towards CSU Pueblo’s goalkeeper, but a collective gasp was heard across the stands as Vourjolo fell, losing possession. One final attempt was made not long after, when freshman striker Bartek Zabek assisted freshman center-back Damion Acevedo to a wide kick that went above the goal. 

“For us to prove we deserve (it) we got to put in the work,” Head Coach Brian Young said. “We need more players in the field to take more responsibility.”

St. Edward’s University’s men’s soccer team will host University of St. Thomas on Sept. 16.